Monday, June 9, 2008

Kurenai - Incestuous lolicon is fine as long as you keep her in the inner most room of your house.

With the current season full of Shounen, mecha, romantic comedy and ridiculous ecchi, I was hoping Kurenai could provide me with something more serious and meaningful. And it certainly did! So far, I've learned that incestuous lolicon is fine as long as you keep her in the inner most room of your house. Okay I should stop saying that; don't need to give the FBI another reason to raid my house. =P (no idea why the FBI would be in Australia though)


Acutally, I picked up Kurenai almost purely based on the presence of a single character: Murasaki Kuhouin. Hey what can I say, I am a sucker for loli. However, after watching the first episode, I realised that this was much more than just another loli infused fanservice exuding moe cuteness at every opportunity. The intelligent dialogue, the fascinating character backgrounds, and the overall sombreness of the series give it a very serious feel. With that said, I'm still watching it predominately for the antics and misadventures of Murasaki.

The story starts off with Benika Juzawa as she helps Murasaki escape the Kuhouin estate. Benika was asked by Murasaki's mother, as her last wish before death, to take Murasaki to the outside world and to teach her love. Benika, with her vast connections, decides to dumps her with one of her pupils, Shinkurou Kurenai.

Obviously she hasn't heard of passive smoking.

The love birds meet for first time.

What follows is a orgy string of loli cuteness misadventures of a spoilt, uptight girl trying to fit in with the lives of the very ordinary. As the episode count climbs, so do our understanding of the character's pasts, and we begin to see the true nature of the Kuhouin family. What started off as simply a more extreme case of a patriarchal family structure suddenly turns into perverse practise of systematic inbreeding. (yes, I'm not kidding)

No I don't have graphic examples of the inbreeding. Stop asking!

Whilst the dialogue, and character development is highly intelligent and interest, the plot development is somewhat lacking. In fact, it took 9 episodes for any real development in the plot. The first 8 episodes were devoted to character development. Considering how the anime is only scheduled to last 12 episodes, it's probably going to be a rushed ending in some kind of final showdown and leaving a dozen unanswered questions. Hopefully, it will all be in order to set up for a second season.

Anyway I'm really not in the mood to write any more so I'll end this review editorial rant with random screen caps.

What can I say, my ex-husband was a midget.

But this is the divorce settlement I got out of him.

Murasaki-chan, I want to do 'it' with you.

Ok let me just change into something more comfortable.

I'm ready. Be gentle Okay?

I'm sorry I wasn't up to your expectations.

Zomg! Domestic violence!

Shinkurou, the aliens have put some kind of metallic force field around this food.

Huh? aliens?

Look at what I bought with your divorce settlement, boiled tofu!

I wonder if my new boner will satisfy Murasaki.

You can't fall asleep now, haven't you heard of covering up the evidence after a murder?

Masochist, another addition to Shinkurou's list of perversions.

Haha, 15 inch, well at least it's an LCD.

Oh no, it's the emo goth hag!

The love rivals meet for the first time.

Shinkurou, that bimbo is too old for you!

Watch closely Murasaki, Shinkurou likes his foreplay rough.

Yep, he's definitely a masochist.

One word for that: Stalker

Clearly shows which one of them has more experience.

What's this? Two timing Murasaki-chan with an older woman?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Freaky lady. Definitely the produce of inbreeding.

Murasaki, I AM your... future husband???

Maybe you haven't noticed, but I'm underaged. I can fulfill your twisted desires too.

I can sure do with some boiled tofu right about now.

No comments: